Thursday, 21 July 2016

Black Kabuli Chick-pea - harvest time!

This is our first year growing Black Kabuli Chickpeas.  The seed is from Salt Spring Seeds, and I chose this one because they "create a hummus like no other!"

Salt Spring Seed's description:
The seed coat of this beautiful, medium sized, rounded garbanzo is charcoal black rather than the typical tan/brown colour of other chickpeas. They have a delicious earthy, nutty flavour, and create a hummus like no other! Originally from Afghanistan via India.
I have a theory that the food of our  ancestors are the foodstuff we are 'selected' for.  Before we had modern medicine, people who couldn't easily digest regional foods seldom lasted long enough to reproduce.  Just like plants adapt to regional variations over time, I think it makes sense that people are also this way.  I notice that Old World foods like chickpeas and grains are much easier for me to digest than many New World foods like squash and tomatoes.  

Chickpeas are common medieval fair in the Middle East, Europe and North Africa, it grows well in our climate and more importantly, it does most of it's growing in the rainy season.  Wonderful.  A staple food that doesn't need watering.  


black kabuli flower
The dry seeds really are stunning.


I should have enough from this harvest to cook up a bunch for a taste, as well as save enough seed for the next few years.  These were the by far our best-producing chickpeas yet.  I had a feeling that might be the case, so I grew them separate from the others to prevent promiscuous pollination.

Next year (if they taste any good, that is) I'll plant a larger patch, but I also think I'll try to give them more space.  Somewhere someone said that chickpeas like to be at least a foot apart and can produce up to 300 seeds per plant.  Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment